Tuesday 7 April 2009

Bombay Local

n my course of learning to swim I have to commute in a train on a daily basis. Mumbai trains as known to all are always very crowded. An empty train during the rush hour is a novelty. Anyways my story is about my train journey.

This was on last Tuesday, when after loads of running like a heroine running away from the villain I managed to board the local train. I was literally hanging out and the train moved. I was trying to accommodate my large self including my poor little haversack when a girl no more than 20 gives me a stare. I ignore it thinking it happens. And then she does the cardinal mistake of telling me not to push. I was already exhausted with my marathon run and then this girl throws attitude. I give her a piece of mind and say I am surrounded by a sea of people who are pushing. That was the last I heard her peep from her.

Usually I am not such a terror but I guess the girl’s attitude asked for it.
Sometime later, another lady walks in, she is trying to push her way through. But all efforts were in vain at that very moment as another lady with a child was trying to move out. (This kind of pushing is in full force when a station is approaching.) Obliviously I hear another set of fireworks begin on the pushing.
And then the child starts crying,

The ladies forget their fighting and are now cooing to the child to be quiet. I am not sure whose tone was louder but it was great to see the warring ladies put down their gears. The ladies managed to move from each others sides quite comfortably. I think all were scared of the kid.

The reason I quoted this incident is that even in our discomfort the daily travellers do not forget the important things. That’s what’s beautiful about the Bombay trains.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lancelot said...

me the first

7 April 2009 at 02:45  
Blogger DuhGodess said...

Mumbaikars themselves are so prone to being pickpocketed at bus stops, on the road, at crowded places and especially on the local trains. Just when we'd given up hope on the Railway authorities doing something, we found this phenomenon of reverse pickpocketing so to say happening all across the city. Instead of having our phones or wallets conveniently stolen, we found along with our intact valuables, booklets on how to be vigilent and avoid being a victim of a pickpocket. It's almost like they(the railway authorities) employed reformed pickpocketers to slip this info into our pockets to warn us of those who hadn't. Those booklets appeared like magic almost.

7 April 2009 at 04:15  
Blogger LV said...

@ Lancelot: As always

@ DuhGodess: Thanks for the comment. Oh thats amazing that they are handing booklets. Does anyone read it...

7 April 2009 at 08:48  
Blogger Som said...

why don't you try the BRTS AC bus?

16 April 2009 at 12:47  
Blogger LV said...

I cant travel to Dadar by Bus, i will never reach.

17 April 2009 at 08:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home